The Chair was established in 1995 and was called Chair of Ecology and Environmental Protection. About two decades ago, with the consent of all UN member states, the concept of sustainable development was adopted as a way of developing modern civilization, based on economic development, environmental security and equilibrium and principles of social justice.
In the context, it is especially important to focus on “Education for Sustainable Development” and preparation of corresponding specialists with environmental education.
In 2012, the Chair was renamed as Chair of Ecology and Sustainable Development. The Chair is staffed with specialists with extensive experience in the education sector who arm future teachers with the necessary professional and methodological knowledge, skills and abilities. The Chair also conducts educational research in collaboration with the centres and laboratories of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia. With the aim of preparing high-quality specialists, the Chair also involves in research activities students, who are in their final year of Bachelor’s studies, and MA students majoring in Ecology and Environmental Protection.
The lecturers of the Chair have written a number of monographs, manuals and scientific articles which are published both in local and international scientific journals. They also participate in conferences organized in Armenia and other countries. Some of the lecturers are involved in different foreign projects and are members of national and international degree awarding committees. Many of them have been trained in other countries.
Priority areas of research conducted by the Chair:
- Theory and Practice in Sustainable Development: Global and national processes and positive experiences: Sustainable management of natural resources: UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Armenia.
- Environmental Psychophysiology: Medical monitoring (research under the influence of different environmental factors)
- Methods of teaching Fundamentals of Ecology in streamed high schools classrooms
- Environment Impact Assessment in industrial centres of Armenia (Yerevan, Vanadzor, Alaverdi, Kapan and Kajaran) by the example of invertebrates
- Study of autumn-sown wheat yield and ontogenesis of hybrid wheat varieties in Ararat Valley
- Inventory of vertebrates biodiversity in the Lake Sevan basin
- Insect Ecology: Development of a biological control method against bloodsucking insects
- Floristic analysis of certain vegetation types in the drainage basin of the Azar River
- Study of the floristic composition and ecological characteristics of certain vegetation types
Chair of Ecology and Sustainable Development
Doctor of Pedagogy, docent
Dean of the Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Geography, Doctor of Sciences (Biology), Associate Professor
Doctor of Philosophy in Biology, Associate Professor
Candidate of biological sciences , Associate Professor