The Pedagogical University Library was founded in 1922 with 190 books fund. Later on, the Library received around 4000 books from the Public Library (later renamed as after Al. Myasnikyan, currently the RA National Library) and the Yerevan State University.

By the efforts of the first librarian Mushegh Gasparyan another 3000 books about Armenian studies and history were brought to the Library from the Etchmiadzin Matenadaran.

During different years the Library was headed by the graduate of the Moscow State Institute of Culture, Faculty of Library Doukhik Movsisyan (until 1961, during her tenure the book fund reached 134,000 items), the Honored Librarian of the ASSR Adrinei Abelyan (1961 – 1995), and Tigran Hovhannisyan (1995-2009).

In 1989, the Library received the status of Academic Library and 1st Class Library.

In 1972 the Library had 400,000 pieces of literature, in 2011 it was more than 630,000 items. In 2011, 120,000 conceptually old books (the CPSU History, CPSU Assembly Resolutions, biographies, decisions, etc.) were written off.

As of 1 January 2021, the Academic Library has 513,017 books (300,000 textbooks, 98,000 fiction books, 64,000 academic and methodological guidelines, 46,000 academic-auxiliary books, 4000 maps).

Starting from 2011, according to the key library indicators (number of readers, book circulation) the Academic Library was ranked the first among 17 other State Universities of the country.

Today, the Library has 26 ancient Armenian books (two of which were discovered in the book depository in 2021), one ancient Russian book, more than 4000 valuable books, 768 pre-Soviet Armenian journals. In addition, the bibliography of the Library has around 1020 dissertations on pedagogy and psychology, and 3205 abstracts in other disciplines. Besides, the Library received 22 newspapers, and 20 scientific-economical journals.

As of 1 January 2021, the Library has around 18,163 readers. The readers are offered two memberships, 6 reading halls, professional rooms, significant consideration is given to the electronic information source, 6 reading halls are equipped with wi-fi and cable internet access, and modern technical support.

Replenishment of the literary fund of the library is carried out by the financial support of the University; sometimes donations are also made.

The Library created its own electronic literature database, where more than 17,000 books in Armenian, Russian and other foreign languages, manuals, dissertations, abstracts, articles, around 2 million electronic references are maintained and available to readers.

Since 2009, the library has been run by the bibliographer historian, culturologist, journalist Tigran Petrosyants - the Director of the Academic Library.

The official website of the Academic Library can be accessed here.

 

 

News