Scientific research institutes (SRI) of the University with their laboratories, where specific directions and branches of science are developed, are among the scientific subdivisions of Armenian State Pedagogical University after Khachatur Abovyan. The SRIs are headed by leading and distinguished specialists in the relevant field of science.
Each scientific unit has its own regulations and operates in accordance with the provisions.
The University has three basic scientific research institutes financed by the Science Committee of the RA Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports, which operate as part of the University's Scientific Research Center.
At the yearend meetings of the ASPU Scientific Council, the head of Scientific Research Center presents a report on the results received in the laboratories of the SRIs.
The predominance of topics related to pedagogy, psychology, teaching methods and Armenian Studies (Armenology) stems from the University’s mission, however great achievements are recorded in other fields of science as well.
One of the greatest achievements is the opening of the “Chess” Scientific Research Institute where the influence of chess on children’s mental health is studied with modern equipment.
ASPU wants to become a research university, therefore it keeps bettering and increasing the efficiency of scientific research by creating new scientific institutes, centers and laboratories, and putting scientific results in circulation.
The SRIs funded by the Science Committee of the RA Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports that operate within ASPU are:
1. Maintenance and Development of "Chess" Infrastructure
Director: Smbat Lputyan, Head of the Scientific Program: Vahan Sargsyan
2. Maintenance and Development of Institute of Natural Sciences
Director: Edward Kokanyan
• Laboratory for New Materials for Quantum Electronics and Integrated Optics
• Laboratory for Study of Bioactive Compounds and Biosafety
• Laboratory for Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
3. “Problems of Transforming Society: Methodological, Historical-scientific and Linguistic Viewpoints”
Director: Hasmik Hovhannisyan
• “Problems of Transforming Society” Laboratory
• “Scientific Laboratory for Linguistic Research”